BMO Financial Group Head, Organizational Design & Effectiveness in Toronto, Ontario
176 Yonge Street
Job Family Group:
Strategy & Change
Please note: This role is also posted to the US market for those that are open to working in the Chicago US area
Reporting to the Chief Talent Officer and as a member of BMO’s Talent, Inclusion and Learning Leadership team, the Head Organizational Design & Effectiveness provides leadership to the Organization Design & Effectiveness Centre of Expertise and Community of Practice for BMO. Provides governance and oversight for organization design and organization effectiveness (OD/OE) work, ensuring standards are met and consistency of practice. Provides advice and counsel on OD/OE opportunities for sensitive and senior BMO FG level and cross-LOB initiatives to execute the HR strategy and business/group strategy working closely with the Chief Talent Officer and the group CHROs. Completes specific strategic / operational work to deliver business results by aligning strategy to structure and design. With a focus on internal strategic priorities and an understanding of emerging external practices and trends, optimizes/simplifies OD/OE work across BMO through the creation and management of a Community of Practice and the development/implementation of training, tools, processes, framework and best practices.
Enterprise Leadership of ODE Strategy and Principles
· Leads creation and sustainment of the Organization Design strategy, framework and principles of the company, in close partnership with the CTO and other HR leaders.
· Optimizes and integrates the delivery of the OD/OE governance, capability building, and consulting and advisory services, including recommending changes to the OE framework / business and operating model methodology (principles, processes, methods and metrics).
· Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies.
Team and Partner Thought Leadership & Education
· Integrates across the CHRO teams and embedded ODE partners to link similar work and facilitate sharing across groups
· Creates and manages a small team and a Community of Practice for OD/OE consultants, HRBPs and other HR Professionals to bring participants together to talk to one another, share work-related knowledge & best practices and learn from each other.
· Oversees the design, development, and implementation of tools and training required to deliver business results. Accountable to ensure a high level of OD acumen is embedded across the HR team.
Creating and Executing ODE Solutions
· Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
· Develops organization effectiveness solutions and makes recommendations based on an understanding of the business strategy and stakeholder needs.
· Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
· Provides thoughtful and effective coaching to senior leaders to maximize skills/capabilities of the group and creates an environment of high performance and openness.
· Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
External Networks, Research & Best Practices
· Maintains external networks to keep abreast of organization effectiveness trends, to optimize tools and processes and implement discipline best practices
· Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
· Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
· Networks with industry contacts to gather and identify competitive insights and best practices.
· Conducts independent analysis to resolve strategic issues.
· Enhances subject matter expertise and keeps abreast of organization design trends by reading journals and articles, and assisting in the research, assessment and BMO-customization of internal and external information relevant to the theory and practice of organization design.
Simplifies and Digitizes Metrics and Reports to Enable ODE Excellence
· Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of wide range of organization solutions; includes organization efficiency (e.g., number of layers, span of control, compression) and organization effectiveness (e.g., role clarity, accountabilities, decision making authority & collaboration) and organization development.
· Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
· Monitors and tracks performance on organization health & executive portfolio health, and addresses any issues.
· Typically, 10+ years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· In-depth knowledge across the field of organization design and effectiveness.
· Experience working in or consulting for the financial services sector or a similarly complex industry.
· In-depth/Expert knowledge of organization design/organization development principles, process and methodology.
· Research skills & robust network
· Design thinking
· Verbal & written communication skills
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
BMO Financial Group Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider – the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $728 billion as of October 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.We serve Canadian clients through BMO Bank of Montreal®, our personal and commercial banking business, BMO Nesbitt Burns®*, one of Canada's leading wealth management firms, and BMO Capital Markets™, our North American investment and corporate banking division.In the United States, clients are served through BMO Harris Bank, a major U.S. Midwest personal and commercial bank, and BMO Private Bank, with wealth management offices across the United States, as well as BMO Capital Markets™, our North American investment and corporate banking division.We help our customers make money make sense by delivering the broadest range of financial services through a single point of contact. Our financial service professionals provide access to any services our customers require across the entire enterprise.