BMO Financial Group Compliance Officer, Registrations & Governance in Chicago, Illinois
Assists in the implementation, maintenance and administration of a specific compliance program. Coordinates and performs risk assessment, monitoring, testing and surveillance activities to ensure program remains current and aligned with BMO Compliance Program. Works with business/group and internal partners to ensure regulatory, corporate and fiduciary obligations are met. Advises business/group on implications of new regulatory developments or internal products, and assists to implement new/revised policies and programs to address them. Identifies risks and implements appropriate actions to mitigate them. Develops and maintains compliance information for analysis and reporting. Achieves compliance goals by maintaining current knowledge of regulatory requirements and developments. Maintains functional and regulatory expertise specific to business group, and refers to Compliance Policies & Procedures manuals for requirements. Contributes to business/group results by providing oversight and making recommendations that significantly impact the Bank’s ability to monitor regulatory compliance programs, minimize operational risk and align with regulatory agencies.
• Develops and maintains a high level of expertise in all regulations, directives and guidance which apply to the group(s) supported.
• Provides input to business/group on emerging risks, regulatory developments and interpretation of regulations.
• Conducts and/or effectively challenges risk assessments for business/group and assists to identify more effective compliance controls.
• Performs and/or effectively challenges monitoring and testing activities to ensure regulatory compliance controls are operating and aligned to regulatory requirements. Supports root cause analysis in
response to material control failures in business/group.
• Identifies, assesses, effectively challenges and provides oversight on the satisfactory resolution of issues, including ensuring adequate management remediation plans and validation. Elevates high profile
issues/risk cases to Compliance and business/group management for prompt resolution.
• Analyzes and reports compliance information to Compliance and business/group management.
• Advises first line of defense management and employees on compliance matters.
• Consults on new products, services and automated systems to assist with incorporating compliance requirements into these initiatives.
• Ascertains training needs and helps develop training based on gaps identified through the compliance monitoring and testing.
• Identifies enhancements to business group compliance tools and processes and communicates to required stakeholders.
• Assists business group management in communicating and implementing changes to applicable regulatory policies and procedures.
• Represents the business/group Compliance team and interacts with examiners/auditors during internal, external and regulatory audits and examinations.
• Provides regulatory perspective on business group’s sales and marketing materials.
• Anticipates/ identifies and analyses risk and consequences of unaddressed risk factors/ compliance gaps, and recommends appropriate controls.
• Builds effective professional relationships with business/groups.
• Operates effectively within a high stress environment with constantly changing expectations and regulatory & audit scrutiny.
• Accesses, monitors and reports on sensitive Bank, customer, transactional and employee information to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Communicates the roles and importance of each of the three lines of defense, and proactively identifies regulatory risk.
• Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of solutions to manage regulatory risk based on an understanding of business operations and stakeholder needs.
• Typically between 3 - 5 years of relevant experience and postsecondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and
• Recognized compliance certificate or equivalent preferred.
• Proficient knowledge of consumer protection and related marketing
and advertising guidelines.
• Proficient level of knowledge of a compliance field.
• Strong knowledge of business operations & procedures, and
activities involving documented practices.
• Proficient in communication, critical thinking, relationship management and project management skills.
• Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business
• Verbal & written communication skills.
• Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Influence skills.
• Data driven decision making.
We’re here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmoharris.com .
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.